Building backlinks is one of the most important SEO tactics utilized to increase a websites page rank. Think of backlinks as recommendations from other websites. The more recommendations or votes your site has the higher search engines will rank your site and the more visitors it will draw. Directory listings, comments, and guest posts are the most common ways SEO specialists build backlinks.
- Directory Listings – Web directories are a categorized listing of websites. There are hundreds these directories on the web and some allow submission site owners to submit their site for free and others are paid. They allow you to list your company name, address, website, and a description of your business and store the information in a searchable database. This offers two benefits to site owners, the first is the ability to publish a directory listing that tells potential customers about your company and offers them contact information. The second benefit directory listings offer is the creation of a link back to your website.
- Guest Posts – Posting articles on blogs across the internet can also be a great way to create backlinks to your site. Your blogs should contain keywords relative to your site content and offer potential readers content that leaves an impression and by this I mean it should make the reader want to leave a comment either adding their expertise to the article, voicing an opposing opinion, or simply letting you know home much they enjoyed reading it.
- Comments – Comments are quick easy ways to get links back to your site, however although they may be short and sweet there are a fer guidelines to follow or your comment may not get published or the link back to your site may not carry any weight with the search engine.
- Comment on articles that contain information relevant to the content on your site. Search engines value links on pages with information that is relative to the pages they are linking too higher than links on pages contain random content. Its like a financial manager recommending a stock vs a homeless guy in front of Wal-mart.
- Create well thought out comments with keywords that are relevant to both the article you are commenting on as well as your site. simply saying great article is not enough. For example if I were to comment on this article I would say something like “I never realized that backlinks were so important to page rank. Thank you for providing all the information on directories, posts and comment, it will come in very handy.”
- If you have information to add or disagree with something in the article voice your opinion in a diplomatic manner so you do not offend the post writer.
One last thing to consider when creating backlinks is the page rank of the referring site. The higher the page rank of the referring site the more weight the link back to your website on that page caries. However, keep in mind just as your page may increase in rank over time so will the page rank of the places you leave your link.